When I first started this blog I made a list of “Marriage Truths” that have truly stood the test of time.
Today I’ve decided to add some new things to my list… this is probably also a good “Things I Wish I’d known Before I Got Married” List!
- Marriage is fun… but fun doesn’t always come easy.
- Men & women almost never, ever, see things through the same eyes
- “Clean” is not always clean. This becomes even more apparent as your family begins to grow
- The TV is never big enough
- Bright lights, bells and whistles make just about anything better (and new electronics/technology can sometimes please even the grumpiest man!)
- Nagging & talking can sometimes be synonymous
- A man cave can be a lifesaver (for both of you!)
- Sometimes a hug can go a long way
- Communication only works when you are both listening………..
- Laughing together is important. And, being able to laugh at yourself can be even more important
- Dividing up chores and keeping a tally is a horrible idea. Feeling that what you contribute is acknowledged and appreciated can almost always provide “balance”
- Being in love doesn’t necessarily mean you love everything about your partner. Sometimes loving someone is accepting the parts you don’t love (like dirty socks all over the house!)
- You will get mad…. Sometimes incredibly mad. It’s ok. Everybody gets mad sometimes. It’s what you do afterwards that matters
- Never going to bed angry is bad advice. Sometimes, what you really need, is some space and some perspective (if this needs to come overnight –that’s ok!)
- Always trust your gut…. It usually comes to pretty accurate conclusions far quicker than your heart or your mind
- Apologize when you’re wrong. And mean it.
- You will make mistakes. You will hurt someone you love. You will learn from it.
- Holding hands and staying physically connected can help you weather even the harshest storm
- Learning to forgive isn’t easy… but nothing worthwhile ever is.
- The amount of laundry you can do in any given week will far exceed your expectations!
- The amount of laundry you will have to pick up from the living room, from under beds, crumbled in corners and dropped on bathroom floors will also far exceed your expectations!
- The refrigerator can be completely full…. but somehow, there will be nothing to eat!
- There are fairies that will live in your house who replace things like toilet paper, tissues, soap and toothpaste (eventually, maybe, he will realize that YOU are the magical fairy!)
- Alone time is just as important as together time. Remember marriage isn’t Two Becoming One…. It’s Two Becoming Too”
- Your “To Do” list will probably never get shorter… as one thing gets completed another thing will get added. So, don’t stress about not getting it all done!
- There are some arguments that will quite simply never be resolved…. Agree to disagree.
- Sharing your life with someone is quite the journey….. always remember to enjoy the ride!
Become a fan of The Hubby Diaries on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/thehubbydiaries
Follow on Twitter: http://twitter.com/thehubbydiaries