Today, while hubby & I were snoozing, there were throngs of people battling each other in stores for a handful of sale items – that retailers knew they would run out of in like 10 minutes flat.
Last night, after we got home from visiting family, we sat on the couch holding our full bellies groaning, and popping a few tums and I turned to hubby and said, “Hon, we have like 10 minutes before we head out to Target”. And, he looked at me as if I’d grown 3 heads right there in front of him, and he scooted further away from me. “You’re nuts” he responded simply.
And yes folks, I was kidding. Not only could I not conceive of going shopping on Black Friday before Black Friday even officially began (I’m not even sure that you can call it Black Friday when it now starts at 10pm on THURSDAY night??!!). I was also feeling a bit ill after having stuffed my face with more food than any person should eat in one sitting. So, trust me, shopping was the last thing on my mind. Shock of all shocks….. Hubby and I actually agreed on something!
(And, if you’re not based in the US – consider yourself lucky that you’re not bombarded with weeks of Black Friday advertising stores opening at 3 or 4 am! 🙂 )
Yesterday I was speculating on the meaning of Black Friday. I mean, I know the origination of the phrase but it’s an event that has seemingly grown into it’s own name.
- Maybe it’s Black Friday because you need to start your shopping excursion in the darkness of night
- Maybe it’s Black Friday because you have horrible black circles under your eyes from lack of sleep, from starting your shopping in the darkness of night
- Maybe it’s Black Friday because you need to be ninja-like in order to be the first to get any of the good deals that retailers use to woo you to their stores
- Maybe it’s Black Friday because it’s sort of like gambling with all of your black chips at a casino (which by the way go directly into my pocket should I ever be lucky enough to win that much money!).
- Or, maybe it’s Black Friday because retailers have a much more sinister intention as they begin to advertise these “great deals” weeks early (insert evil laugh here) that force fat-bellied people from the comfort of their homes after consuming way too much turkey.
Write this date down folks…. it may be one of the few notable times that hubby & I have agreed on anything!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Now, just don’t tell him that I do intend to drag him to a few stores later, I’ll do it under he guise of going out to lunch (that usually works). Don’t judge me! I do, after all, have some Christmas shopping to do……………ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!)
Become a fan of The Hubby Diaries on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/thehubbydiaries
Follow on Twitter: http://twitter.com/thehubbydiaries