I’ve written ad nauseum about hubby’s selective vision and his inability to take in things around him that don’t seem important.
But I never imagined how quickly he’d be able to seemingly forget we are having a baby. Now don’t get me wrong, it’s hard to forget in the obvious sense of the word. There are quite a few things that provide glaring daily reminders
- There’s a room that’s full of baby furniture and we debate at least every other day if we should change the paint color
- There are doctor visits every 2 weeks
- Apparently I snore non-stop at night now…. And couple this with the 4-5 trips I make to the bathroom, at least one of us is probably not sleeping at all
- We still haven’t agreed on a name so that’s part of everyday conversation
- Everyone, and their brother, sister or aunt….. asks about my pregnancy, the baby, the names and so on…
- And, it’s also hard to ignore the amount of people who seemingly think it’s ok, to rub and touch my belly without permission (but, in all honesty hubby probably doesn’t notice this since he’s not the one being molested!)
Anywho…. The one element you may have noticed missing from that list is my HUGE belly (which obviously grows more with each passing day). And that’s because while hubby sees it……. I’m not sure he actually SEES it.
Please let me explain.
I’ll travel to our basement to do laundry and after taking 2 flights of stairs, it’s not uncommon for me to be a little winded. So, when I plop myself down on the couch next to hubby he says…..”Why are you breathing so heavy?”. UHM, I don’t know, maybe because WE’RE HAVING A BABY and, I have a HUGE BELLY, and I get tired more easily????? HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN???!!
We’ll have lunch on a weekend and after about 2 hours, I will say to hubby “I’m hungry again….. I’m gonna grab something to eat.” And he replies…… “You’re hungry AGAIN?? Didn’t we just eat a little while ago?” UHM, YES, did you forget there’s somebody inside of me sharing my food? Do you not see my big belly… WE’RE HAVING A BABY YOU KNOW??!!
And perhaps my favorite
It’s nighttime and we are watching tv and I declare “Ok, I’m really tired, I think I’m going to go to bed.” And hubby lovingly replies.. “Really, you’re that tired? Didn’t you sleep in this morning?” UHM, I’d like you to try carrying around a melon all day just using your belly, I’d like you to have to visit the bathroom 5 times at night while you’re tossing and turning. I’d like you to deal with an achy back, knees and some fun-filled general discomfort and we’ll see what time you want to go to bed. (But of course, even after I’ve thought this all out, I realize that hubby doesn’t EVER go to bed when he’s tired, so he has no way of truly understanding……. AND HE NEVER WILL.) *****SIGH*****
So yes folks, he knows we’re having a baby……. But I not sure he KNOWS we are having a baby. Either that or this is just his way of subtlety reminding me that he’s still living a “normal” life – drinking beer, eating sushi and staying up late while I am obviously not……………… and so, the rest of our lives begin. *****ANOTHER REALLY BIG SIGH*****
Become a fan of The Hubby Diaries on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/thehubbydiaries
Follow on Twitter: http://twitter.com/thehubbydiaries